Structural Foam Molding is a plastic molding process ideal for production of large complex parts that are rugged, durable and impervious to the elements. They are used in industry, recreational vehicles, commercial truck parts and products, outdoor consumer products and even underground applications.
The process is similar to injection molding in that you have a precision mold mounted in a molding machine. After resin injection, the mold opens up and the part is ejected from the mold cavity. This is where the similarity to injection molding ends.
Structural foam parts are produced at a much lower pressure than injection molding and inert gas is used to fill the mold cavity instead of machine pressure. The result is a cellular core with solid plastic exterior walls.
The advantages are many. Here are a few.
1. Better for larger parts because of the lower pressure used to fill the mold cavity.
2. Lower molding pressure allows use of smaller tonnage molding machines and aluminum molds.
3. Lower molding pressures produce less stress and a more stable design geometry.
4. Cellular core produces lighter weight parts, higher impact strength and better strength to weight ratio.
Benefits of gas assist and structural web molding.
Structural Web/Gas Assist molding technology provides different component advantages. The process introduces gas into the melt at specific pressures for smoother surface finishes.
- Thinner walls and hollow parts for large structural components
- Smoother surface finish that rivals high-pressure injection molding
- Consistent surface color and finish – no swirls
- Low pressure molding advantages
- Aluminum molds are less costly than steel
- Maximum part size with minimum clamp tonnage
Benefits of multi nozzle technologies.
Our modern structural foam molding machines allow us to mold very large parts or run multiple molds on a single machine at the same time. This capability is driven by our multi-nozzle machine technology allowing us to locate injection nozzles throughout the platen surface.
Let’s get started.
Presses include 1,500 ton, 1,000 ton, 725 ton, 500 ton, and 375 ton with single part capabilities of up to 200 lbs.
With a 135,000 sq. ft. state of the art facility on a greenfield site strategically located in the midwest, the structural foam molding manufacturer Miles Products represents is one of America’s best.
We offer the latest technology available for total control of the molding process. Shot-to-shot consistency is monitored by custom controls, built to our exacting specifications.
We can quickly advise you on your product suitability for structural foam molding manufacturing. We also can assist with design, engineering, mold making and material selection to get your project started right.
Structural foam molding can help you reach new levels in your design and production. Call Miles Products or send a RFQ to start the conversation.